It's like a curse
I don't think that I can even come close to putting the frustration I'm feeling into words.
It's not uncommon to disagree with the way a situation was handled. After all, there's no giant cop guide book that says "If XXX, then YYY," where "X" is the crime committed and "Y" is the action taken. However, to disagree publicly, in front of the suspect while I'm trying to effect the arrest? And then to stand there with your hands in your pockets looking sad for the guy? Dude, what the fuck?
The thing that makes it sting worse is that this guy shouldn't be a cop. He doesn't have the stones or brains. He all but failed his FTO and was recommended for termination by the Sgt and a Lt, a request that fell on the Chief's deaf ears. I don't trust the guy and I can't rely on him. If push comes to shove, I'd rather have no backup than him.
I wish I could tell him: Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way. Regardless what you choose, stay out of my AO and remember I've been on the job 5 times longer than you. But alas, he's already previously filed a complaint against the shift because we all gave him the silent treatment. Guess I'll continue to bite my tongue and spit blood.
It's not uncommon to disagree with the way a situation was handled. After all, there's no giant cop guide book that says "If XXX, then YYY," where "X" is the crime committed and "Y" is the action taken. However, to disagree publicly, in front of the suspect while I'm trying to effect the arrest? And then to stand there with your hands in your pockets looking sad for the guy? Dude, what the fuck?
The thing that makes it sting worse is that this guy shouldn't be a cop. He doesn't have the stones or brains. He all but failed his FTO and was recommended for termination by the Sgt and a Lt, a request that fell on the Chief's deaf ears. I don't trust the guy and I can't rely on him. If push comes to shove, I'd rather have no backup than him.
I wish I could tell him: Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way. Regardless what you choose, stay out of my AO and remember I've been on the job 5 times longer than you. But alas, he's already previously filed a complaint against the shift because we all gave him the silent treatment. Guess I'll continue to bite my tongue and spit blood.
Labels: arrest, disturbing, stupidity, the good the bad the ugly


11 Comments:
We have a few of those types around. Who would have thought it would be so hard to get an idiot fired, in a non-union department, during his alleged 'probationary' period.
Dear Moe,
This is bull. It's elementary. Don't need to be a cop to understand this--although it ups the stakes.
Two teachers do not diss each other in front of a class
Two managers do not argue personnel policy in front of employees
Two scam artists do not interfere in each other's cons--they wait to see what the play is first.
Not if they want to keep working w/ any ounce of control.
You need to write up as many details as possible--whether to share them w/brass yet is a judgment call. But you need a record for getting this guy out your car and your space!
Unbelievable!
Besides, he's new. He should be asking, not telling.
Ann T.
Trust me, I know the feeling and there are very few things that rival the frustration factor in working with an incompetent 'peer' who has no interest in learning.
I suppose that after you cool off a little you and two or three other, older men might have an informal talk with him. Explain that he's endangering his own life (which might be fine with you - heh!) but that he's also putting his partners at risk. Ask if he'd like to go an explain to your wife how you got killed in the line of duty, or worse, try explaining that to your mother. My own mother would likely bend a shotgun barrel over his head if she found out he was endangering her little boy. After you get past the BS, offer to teach him. Tell him he must give his best efforts. Explain that all of you are giving your best efforts. Then give it one last shot IF he'll cooperate.
If not, well then you've given it your last and best shot and you're no worse off than you'd be otherwise.
Best of luck to you.
After you get past the BS
Meaning his protests, excuses and explanations. You may have to explain that he is to begin by listening.
Kind of makes you want to kick the ever-living snot out of him, huh?
It sucks that you've got someone who's so inept and incompetent that may have to be your back-up some day. He's going to end up getting someone killed or getting himself killed.
I know there's a chain of command, but isn't there anyone higher that you can go to about this problem?
The very best of luck to you and please stay safe.
Moe:
Sad to say that sometimes guys like this get UNDER the "radar", and once that damn foot's in the door, it's all but impossible to extricate them from the department.
Mad Jack's got a damn fine solution, providing this "officer" want to LISTEN UP instead of just hearing you.
What I can't fathom is how BOTH a SGT and an LT can recommend him for termination (and not just a dress-down), and this guy is STILL on the force.
Has I.A. looked into this, and if not, why not?
Seems the head-hunters need to get involved ASAP.
Stay safe out there.
Ann - There's a ton of paperwork already. You'd think more fuel on a fire would make it rage, but nope. Nada. He's not in my car. I'll go home on sick call before I'll let that happen.
Jack - We're tried teaching him, we've tried talking to him, we've tried showing him. 3 officers AND a Sgt. I'm talking over a period of weeks. It doesn't sink in. After two weeks of training on traffic stop safety, he lights up a car and then pulls in front of it to conduct his stop. Figure THAT out.
Anon - Nope. Tried that. Plausible deniability. The less they acknowledge, the more they can deny when someone gets hurt/killed and they're dragged into court.
Bob - When your Chief's policy is "he's a warm body," how much can you really expect? the pisser is he'll get ticked when he gets complaints on these folks. Uh, hello? You were warned! How's this a suprise?
I wish I had other suggestions to offer, but as a citizen, I'm at a loss.
Please be careful out there and go home safe after every shift. Screw him. You come first.
Be safe.
Okay, you gave it your best shot and he refuses to learn. I feel for you, truly I do. You did the very best you could and then went the extra mile and a half, and that is more than is required of you.
Being incompetent, he'll very likely be promoted. Meanwhile you all know him and know he's in the wrong line of work.
When I was in uniform I was a FTO, I recommended a couple to be terminated for reason. It always fell on deaf ears because the command needed the numbers.
I always go to say I told you so! I documented everything and made sure I kept my own records, so when the F-up gets into legal trouble it wont come back on me.
Good luck and you are right keep them off your scenes.
Take a hint from the other side; wait for a really bad situation, take him hostage, and use him as a human shield to get close to the BG.
Post a Comment
<< Home