Little old lady
I was standing near the wrecked ford, the victim of a motor vehicle accident, shooting the shit with one of my partners. The accident wasn't too bad. One person went to the hospital with very minor injuries and having completed our interviews and notes, we were just waiting for a hook to cart away the disabled vehicle.
Now, it's a common thing for people to walk up on you and ask you stupid questions while you're obviously far too busy to be bothered with them. You can be on a felony traffic stop, with guns drawn and someone will inevitably stop and say "Excuse me, do you know the fastest way to Cleveland?" even though you've never been to Ohio and are 2,000 miles from damn state.
Anyway, a little old lady slowly made her way up the sidewalk towards us and in a sweet, soft voice, asked if she could bother us for a minute. Not really doing anything important, we said sure.
"I know that you're busy, but my husband retired from XXPD and my son is an officer there. Whenever I see an officer, I stop him and give him one of these."
She reached into her purse and from a bag pulled two small laminated cards with a police officer's prayer and handed one to each of us.
"I want you to know that you're doing a good job and I'm proud of you. God bless you both."
We thanked her, shook her fragile little hand, and she walked away. Both myself and my partner, who usually have a smart-assed comment for everything, were speechless. My partner finally broke the silence.
"Wow."
"Yeah," I replied.
It was probably the nicest thing anyone had done for me in uniform. I'm grateful and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Now, it's a common thing for people to walk up on you and ask you stupid questions while you're obviously far too busy to be bothered with them. You can be on a felony traffic stop, with guns drawn and someone will inevitably stop and say "Excuse me, do you know the fastest way to Cleveland?" even though you've never been to Ohio and are 2,000 miles from damn state.
Anyway, a little old lady slowly made her way up the sidewalk towards us and in a sweet, soft voice, asked if she could bother us for a minute. Not really doing anything important, we said sure.
"I know that you're busy, but my husband retired from XXPD and my son is an officer there. Whenever I see an officer, I stop him and give him one of these."
She reached into her purse and from a bag pulled two small laminated cards with a police officer's prayer and handed one to each of us.
"I want you to know that you're doing a good job and I'm proud of you. God bless you both."
We thanked her, shook her fragile little hand, and she walked away. Both myself and my partner, who usually have a smart-assed comment for everything, were speechless. My partner finally broke the silence.
"Wow."
"Yeah," I replied.
It was probably the nicest thing anyone had done for me in uniform. I'm grateful and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Labels: Karma, the good the bad the ugly


2 Comments:
A very nice gesture indeed. She's a good woman.
PLEASE be safe out there.
Moe:
There is a passage from the Good book(I once heard at a police/fire Sacred heart Breakfast AGES ago) that goes:
"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained ANGELS unawares".
((Hebrews 13, 1-2))
Seems like you and your partner just MET one.
Stay safe and have a great weekend.
B.G.
(signal 8)
Post a Comment
<< Home