Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Publicity firm email

Occasionally I get contacted by people via my email. I don't mind it, otherwise I wouldn't have my address listed. I get offers to work on magazine articles, requests for comments on news stories or police related incidents, and emails from readers that have a question. Today was the first time I've been contacted by television show PR people to try to help promote a show.

Here's a snippet:

Hi there,

Hope all is well. I am working with the basic cable channel AMC to promote their original drama Breaking Bad. The show follows a chemistry teacher, Walt White, who is diagnosed with terminal cancer and turns to drug dealing in order to leave behind an inheritance for his family. The character Walt's brother-in-law, Hank, is a DEA agent on the show. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the show, but you can check out the Season 2 Premiere online:

http://www.amctv.com/videos/breaking-bad/?bcpid=9787693001&bclid=10174960001&bctid=14384555001

The reason I am reaching out is Dean Norris the actor who plays DEA agent Hank has created some original videos with law enforcement officers. I thought these might be of interest to you and your readers. Let me know if you would be interested posting about the videos or the show:

Cop Talk: Cop Stuff
http://www.amctv.com/videos/breaking-bad/?bcpid=9787693001&bclid=15147982001&bctid=15141963001

The email was longer with more information about the show and additional links, but I'll spare you the garbage.

I've never watched the show but after viewing these promotional videos, I never will. This guy, Dean Norris(who?) seems like a real douche bag. He pulls off a DEA Agent about as well as I'm guessing David Spade would. These fake "talking to real cops" videos are horrible and do nothing but further paint honest hardworking cops in a bad light. If those "real cops" are really cops, I'll eat my boot.

AMC, if you're looking to connect to people in law enforcement to bolster your show ratings - Mission failed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the same email. And I'm not even a cop! They must've been trolling as many cop-related blogs as possible and hit them up. I've never seen the show either.

3/27/2009 1:47 AM  
Anonymous Christa M. Miller said...

That's what those of us in the PR business call a "bad pitch." Reporters like me get them from PR people who do not do their research on our articles (I've gotten a bunch lately related to health -- WTF? My website spells out that I specialize in public safety). And bloggers get them from... well, the same.

Good PR people do their research first. I bet the DEA either turned these people down or flat out ignored them. The feds are notoriously difficult to get ahold of even for those of us working on legitimate, LE-friendly articles. For something like this? I can see why the PR person might have gotten desperate, but it's still no excuse for no research!

3/29/2009 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home